Saturday, December 20, 2008

Being green in a non convservational way

Well I knew it was coming… the last week of Xmas Bake Off's at work!

I wasn't able to participate in the first two bakeoff's, but the third and final bake off was for a christmas cake.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to bake. Unfortunately, passion does not equate to ability…
But even knowing that about myself, I put my hand up to bake the Christmas Cake. I had been thinking about it for a while, as is my way.

What type of cake would I bake? I wanted to do something different so I went with a white chocolate type cake. I really don't know what to call it apart from "check what's tasty in the fridge and chuck it into the mix" cake

I didn't make a traditional xmas cake, I made a xmas tree shape cake, decorating it with green icing and different candies for the tinsel and xmas tree balls.

It was a messy business! And I was a little embarrased because Sandy and her kids were over as I was icing it and there was just green green green everywhere!!! It was a mess!! The counter tops, the utensils I was using, my HANDS, everything was GREEN!

I'm not bad at "inventing" new cakes but I'm terrible at decorating!

So I was hoping that I would win this bake off for our team just for the originality of the idea and I'm very happy to say that WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!
I'm not even sure what we won but just the fact that we did was enough!

Of course, the first thing I did was forward a copy of the email stating we'd won to Deno.
Would you believe, while we're lying in bed last night waiting to drift of into sleep in each others arms he says "Aren't you embarrassed to be taking that thing to work tomorrow?" (Talking about the cake)

Thanks honey! Always quick to tell you what he really thinks!

I was getting a little worried as no one was eating it until halfway through the day when I got a knife and cut the whole thing up into pieces!

So now I need a fresh idea for my next cake! Any thoughts?



1 comment:

Evil Pixie said...

Hahaha! Sounds like Dougie! Great job on the cake... far better than I would ever do. I don't even attempt things like that because it would be a disaster. It's always better for me to just step aside and let other take control of the baking department. But you did an excellent job. I especially like the tree ornaments.