Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh no, not that time of year again...


I can't escape it so I may as well give my comments on Valentines Day.

I hate valentines day.

It's no secret, I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again.

Everything about this day bugs me.

Firstly, I hate that there is a day to make people tell each other they they love each other. If you love someone, shouldn't you be showing them by your actions every day? And if someone or something (IE, a special, set aside day) makes you say it, doesn't it devalue the meaning?

Secondly, I hate the competition aspect of it. Suddenly, it's not only a mark of who loves you, but how much he/she loves you!
The more they spend, the greater the love. Women are so bad at this! They'll ask each other "what did your man get you?"
Keep in mind, that the woman who asks this isn't really interested in finding out what you got, but instead is interested in telling you what HER man got her!
Then you can compare which man loves which woman more.

Sorry to be gender specific but I'm sure you can apply that to homosexual couples too...

According to social custom, to survive the day, you need to have an attentive partner, or a secret crush who is willing to spend lots of money on you or who will do something spectacular for you, so that all your friends, relatives and work colleagues can know how much your partner loves you.

I love my husband. I don't need to set aside a day to prove it, I can show him every day. He can show me too, not by buying me gifts, but by doing the things that mean so much to me... and most of those don't cost any money at all!!
Monetary gifts are sometimes a lot easier...

So if you must, enjoy the day, but please, keep it to yourself!

No comments: