Sunday, January 3, 2010

I DID IT!!

This is a completely personal entry but I need to write it because I want to document how good I feel right now!!!

Today I completed one of my goals/resolutions for this year. That was, to run 21kms, or a half marathon distance.

I knew I was going to do it soon. I'd mapped out the distance using "Map my run". I'd chosen a route that I was familiar with so that it didn't look like I was running any further. The first 7kms and the last 7kms were part of my regular route... it was the mid 7kms that were new! (And they were the toughest)
Running is so much about have the right mental frame, little things like a different route can throw me off mentally.

I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it today. Actually I was debating whether to do it today or leave it for Tuesday (my birthday) as a birthday present... but decided to go for today in case I chickened out later in the week when I'd run more kms. Didn't want to do the distance on tired legs!

Everything was perfect this morning! the wind seemed calm, the temperature was fresh... I left the house about 6.15am and got to my starting point. Checked the time, 6.21am. Got my mp3 started with my newly acquired running songs (gotta have Morningwood and Juliette & the Licks!) stretched and off I went. At one point I had thought about taking pictures with either my phone or regular camera while running but knew they wouldn't come out anyhow... too much shaking, so why take the extra weight... but it's a shame because I would have liked to have had a photo at every kilometre!

As I was doing the first kilometre all I could think was "no way, I'm not going to be able to do this" but then my encouraging inner voice spoke "just run, you've done this part before, see how you feel when you get to the turn off and go from there"

So, trying to keep my mind blank, I just ran.
At about the 6kms mark I started to feel pretty good. I started to get into 'the zone'. I think what I mean by that is that my muscles just go numb and I can't feel them so as long as I keep moving, I'm ok!

At the 7kms mark my route changed and I went into a new bit that I'd never run before. It was ok until I reached a part that at that time in the morning, was pretty desolate. Nothing like a bit of fear to keep those legs moving!!!

Finally I hit the halfway point and it was time to turn around and go back. I had a brief moment of euphoria then, knowing that I was going to do the distance, even if some of it was going to include walking... after all, I did have to get back to my car!

When I got to point where I had 7kms to go, and was back in familiar running territory I felt pretty good. I thought if I just keep going like this, enjoying my music, not caring about how fast or slow I'm going, I'm going to make it!

As I started to get closer, 4kms to go, 3kms to go, 2kms to go, I just wanted to shout out to everyone I saw that I was about to complete my first half marathon distance!
I really couldn't believe that I had done it!

When I got back to the car I had such a huge grin on my face and really must have looked strange to anyone who saw me. I started walking around stretching a little, getting out my phone ready to text my feat to my nearest and dearest, when I remembered I had to check the time!
Checked the time and the car showed 8.20... which means I had run it in 1.59 at the worst! I just couldn't believe it!!!
I wanted to throw my hands up in the air and scream it!! "I've just run a half marathon in under two hours!!!"

But I restrained myself and instead, finished stretching then got back in the car to go home to the nice warm hot bath I had planned to aid recovery.

Now I need a new goal!!

No comments: