Friday, May 8, 2009

Images of A Mother


I thought it only fitting to write about Mothers seeing as it is Mothers Day on Sunday 10th May.
I received an email during the week that states our thoughts about mum during the stages of our life and thought how true it was!
Here’s a copy of it for anyone interested

4 YEARS OF AGE - My Mummy can do anything!
8 YEARS OF AGE - My Mum knows a lot! A whole lot!
12 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.
14 YEARS OF AGE - Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either.
16 YEARS OF AGE - Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned.
18 YEARS OF AGE - That old woman? She's way out of date!
25 YEARS OF AGE - Well, she might know a little bit about it!
35 YEARS OF AGE - Before we decide, let's get Mum's opinion.
45 YEAR S OF AGE - Wonder what Mum would have thought about it?
65 YEARS OF AGE - Wish I could talk it over with Mum.

I saw this email for the first time when I was in my late twenties and thought the descriptions were pretty accurate. Now that I’m on the other end of the mother/child relationship, I’m seeing the “my mother doesn’t really know much” attitude coming in. Although it can be frustrating at times, I know it’s just a step in life’s journey and try to take it all with a pinch of salt (and a large glass of wine!)

Watching them grow from a child to pre teen, to pre adult brings about new emotions that are sometimes hard to deal with. I find myself often wondering what my own mother thought as I made that journey into adulthood, no longer having to rely on her for my day to day living.Yes it’s true, we think once we hit our early twenties we know everything, and certainly more than our old fashioned parents but something happens during the mid twenties and we start to realise that perhaps there is a bit of wisdom in what mamma has to say.

No body will love you as unconditionally as your own mother. And I’m sure Mothers Day will come and go with barely a “Happy Mothers Day” from my kids but I know the time will come when they’ll value what I have to say a little more than perhaps they do today. And I’m happy enough seeing them grow into the wonderful children they are, not perfect but who is?

And finally, the email had a few sentences about what “real” mothers were like. Can you think of any more?

Real Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens and happy kids.
Real Mothers don't want to know what the vacuum just sucked up.
Real Mothers know that a child's growth is not measured by height or years or grade... It is marked by the progression of Mummy to Mum to Mother...


1 comment:

Evil Pixie said...

Hmmm... I wonder what it means that I still call my mum "Mummy" at my age?