Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fooling Ourselves


We love to fool ourselves don't we?
What do I mean?
Well take today for example, I was in the upstairs bathroom because the bathroom on my floor was being cleaned.
As I walked out of the bathroom, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and remembered how much I like using this upstairs bathroom because the mirror makes me look thinner!!
Now obviously, I'm not actually thinner, but it still makes me feel better than when I look in the mirror of the regular bathroom!
In another instance, I heard a radio talk show where the hosts had a "bra whisperer" on. Sounds strange but in reality all she did was fit women correctly as apparently, most of us don't know how to shop for bras and are usually wearing the wrong size.
They had a whole lot of women brought in and fit them on the show.They asked the women what size they normally wore and they were all surprised when they found out from the "bra whisperer" that they were actually a bigger size than they first thought.
I listened to their exclamations with wonder. Did they think that just because the bra whisperer had given them a different number, that their boobs were an actual different size??? Nothing had changed! What was there to get so excited about?
About 15 years ago I went to one of those party plan parties. The saleslady was selling a line of clothing. She had quite a few samples there and at the end of the presentation, we were able to try some of them on to decide whether we would buy them or not.
Turns out, the sizing was VERY generous... If you were a size 12, you'd be an 8-10 in this clothing line...
Flattery will get you everywhere!!!
The women bought up big and I was left dumbfounded.Did they think they actually looked different??
Just because the tag says a smaller number, doesn't mean anything's changed!
Sometimes our illusions and delusions are harmless, other times they can have dire consequences.
Luckily, for most of us, they fall into the harmless category and hey, if it makes you feel good, who am I to pull the wool out of your eyes!

1 comment:

DJ said...

Hmmmmmm....

I just read in the paper today that Islamic extremists in Sudan have banned the bra. Do they have burqa whisperers instead? Or do they expect their horse whisperers to also deal with their women and other livestock in their spare time?