Monday, March 14, 2011

When I hear rhymes, it's sleepy times...



Hubby and I started to watch a movie yesterday about a poet.


While the style of the movie was interesting, the lines of poetry that were continually being spoken were...

well, insanely boring!

Hey, I get it, some people like poetry and that's fantastic for them, but quite frankly, I don't get it!


I would have rather have been in a confined space with a million crying babies than endure one more second of that movie!

You see to me, someone reading poetry is like someone telling you about a crazy dream they had.
I know that crazy dream is significant for YOU!! But really to me, it's just words. You could be saying anything fantastical because we all know dreams are fantastical!! It's really not an odd occurrence at all. I'm just not interested.

The same goes for poetry. I'm sure the events that inspired those beautiful words meant something to the writer and on a better day, I could maybe even appreciate it, but for the most part, I'm just not interested!

Having written all that, I've got to say that comedic poetry doesn't fall under the boring banner, neither does lyrical poetry. And I'm not just saying that because I've dabbled in both of those!

Lyrical because you can identify and like it based on the music. Comedic, because if it's done well, it can be witty, clever and funny.

If your heart is broken and you want to write about it, keep it to your blog!

And thanks for listening...

No comments: